Monday, December 19, 2011

Big Lens- iPhone App

If you are like me, you have more iPhone pics than you do regular pictures. It's just so dang convenient- always right there when you need it. The downside for me is that I'm a quality snob, and the quality of the pictures from the iphone just don't cut it for me. So I'm constantly on the look out for apps that improve the quality of your photos, or add vintage filters and such (like instagram) that makes it look like the grainy quality of the picture was intentional.

Today I ran across this post from Digiscrap101.com showcasing an app called Big Lens. The app is meant to mimic the look of using a lower aperture lens on a DSLR camera. Being the photography app junkie that I am, I had to give it a shot.

I downloaded the app, and in just a few minutes, I transformed one of the pics I took of Lilly over the weekend from drab to fab.

Original Image:
 Image after using Big Lens (I used the Lomo 2 filter):
Much better! However, the grain is still killing me, so I ran it through my Photogene2 app, and ran a little de-noising. Here's the final image:

Now it's still not a DSLR quality image, but it's good enough for my Project Life, and it's a cute capture of my baby feeding herself (a relatively new trick), and that's the important part!

End thoughts- Big Lens is totally worth the $0.99. It's not perfect for every photo, but I have a feeling that I will playing with this one a lot.

3 comments:

Stef said...

Yes - I am so glad I'm not alone! I have really been struggling lately with the quality of my iPhone photos. My only problem with some of the apps I've tried is that you sometimes have to TAKE the photo from the app, rather than the normal camera, and I typically forget. :-S

Anonymous said...

Love this - thanks for mentioning me - you made my week! :)

Robert Salas said...

Snapseed is almost always the first app I use, followed by photogene. But for cool variations I will use Cameratic, Camera360, CP Pro and Iron Camera. I have between 50 and 60 camera and photo editing apps but those are my favorites.